View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 09:47 PM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
The issue of Smart Meters is that they needlessly emit a lot of RF radiation which kills plants and drives away the birds, bats and the bees.
Has anyone seriously looked at one of those spectrum charts from the FCC or Industry Canada lately? God, every last slice of wireless spectrum is full of RF transmitting to all our homes from space and terrestrial transmitters! I'd be more worried about the cell phone tower down the street (which I'm not) or an Al-Jazeera TV satellite than smart meters!

This is from 2003: http://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/p...3-allochrt.pdf

Quote:
Also anyone with an RF reader can tell when someone is home so they know when to rob you blind.
Because it's much easier to do this than scope out your house for 10 minutes to see if anyone is home or not? And besides, all of us reefers will have no problem if this is true since all our halide's and pumps will surely make the thieves think someone is home!

Quote:
They will drive anyone nuts who has extreme electrical/magnetic sensitivity. If going under high voltage lines bothers you a smart meter will drive you nuts.
That's why these people can move out into the boonies, or even: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...dio_Quiet_Zone

(Ok, a little harsh. But these people have bigger worries right now, like Wi-fi and Cell phones which are MUCH stronger signals).

Quote:
There is also other technology that can be used to get the info... ethernet over the neutral line. Similar to X10 control systems.
Ya, but Hydro chose the cheaper wireless method instead. Otherwise all the transformers on the grid would need upgrading to allow the communication to pass through. Much like Shaw/Rogers had to do back in the early 2000's to allow two way communication on their cable network.

Quote:
The company(Corix) that does the smart meter installs are not using licensed electricians. There is already cases of houses burning down due to an improper install of a smart meter.
Perfect, save some more $$! I would assume they are well trained individuals otherwise Worksafe BC wouldn't be letting them do the work. I'd be more concerned about all the home owners of the province installing their own power outlets or changing out light switches.