View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 05:01 PM

-=James=- is on a distinguished road

These look like my best 2 options right now. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
lockrookie is correct regarding the tank not actually being euro braced so the centers are structural. However it is still overkill and I can suggest two new options that may not have been discussed yet.

1. Leave the tank as is and silicone a 6mm center brace directly on top of the existing cracked brace. Requires no removal of trim or other modifications and will provide enough reinforcement to the crack brace. By far the cheapest and easiest solution but not the prettiest and could disrupt light depending on how they are setup.
I was thinking exactly this but i'm not sure how bad the light penetration would be. Definitely the easiest route though. Might consider this instead of replacing the brace.

Quote:
2. Remove both center braces. Install new euro brace, however all the tank needs is the front and rear pieces, not sides. The 1.5" current brace can also stay in place, install a new 4" euro underneath the current 1.5". Not sure how easy this option is but to me if you're already willing to remove one center brace the outcome of this option is best.
This was what the best option looks like, but also the most expensive as I would hire someone to come over and do the job.

I didnt think of installing a new eurobrace under the old one and leaving the old one in place, very clever and I think that will work and be a cheap choice as well. This way, I dont need to hire the LFS to remove the old braces and install new ones.

***Can someone confirm if installing a new eurobrace UNDER the old one will be as effective as replacing the old eurobrace? And if installed under, should I remove or leave the cross braces? This is looking like the most promising alternative!