View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 10:57 PM

jostafew is on a distinguished road

Hey Rockstevo, couple things for you to look at. I really think the Nano will have plenty of poop in that tank, but the tank and the wavebox have to be a good fit.

- Do you have a center overflow or is it on the corner/end of the tank? The overflow will kill a lot of the wave engery. I was only ever able to get about 3/4" in my 70gal (corner O/F) with the wavebox maxed out, but one time I hit feed mode and drained about 10gal out of it for a water change and the wavebox cam back on before I'd refilled, I had a HUGE wave in there, like 2-3 inches before I was able to kill the wavebox!

- Tuning. I found it extremely difficult to dial in the wave frequency to match my relatively short tank (30" x 24" footprint). I eventually got fed up and removed the original potentiometer and replaced it with a 10-turn version which increased the resolution about 13 times! After that it was a snap to dial it in and just adjust the power level to get the wave size I wanted, again max was about 3/4 - 1" due to the corner overflow killing off any additional wave energy. Let me know if you're handy with a soldering iron and I'll send you some more details on the mod I did.

I eventually sold off the wavebox in favor of a Vortech as it just wasn't suited well to my tank (shape and corner O/F), but it's working very nicely in my buddy's 36" long 70gal with center O/F.

Last edited by jostafew; 01-16-2012 at 10:59 PM.