View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 09:15 PM

Palmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
Trial and error has shown that any marine tank does "better" with rock.

I am sure you CAN go without, but why? You can do good, or you can do great. Fish appreciate the hiding areas, and benefit from the pods and whatnot that they find to munch on.

Thats my opinion anyhow.

Plus a tank without rock would be plain and boring. IMO.
Don't get me wrong I like the look of live rock and appreciate it for its looks and function in my current reef tank.

I just like the look of the slate rock I have in my Cichlid tank as well and am just going for a different look in this new project. The fish will have plenty of hiding places in this set up as well. Although I agree the pods etc will not be present like in a LR tank.

I am also going to try to do this somewhat affordably so I am keeping the coralife compact with daylight and actinics for this and know I dont need expensive lighting for it. I will likely put my money most into the skimmer and a new sump (or used )

I have a little UV sterilizer for my Cichlid tank so may first just use that and restrict the flow in it.

The other idea I had was to consider mangroves. I like trying new things and I have never used them for my reef tank. Maybe mangroves in the sump with some light etc.