Thread: Nikon vs. Canon
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 11:52 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Someone mentioned the D700, just a heads up, the new (D800?) will be coming out in spring 2012 and probably be in the same price range, maybe a few hundred more. I wouldn't buy a D700 right now unless its used. I think there is a big shortage anyways because of the Tsunami in Japan. I know the Tsunami delayed the D800 (if that is the new model number as expected).

For what I like to call an almost professional Nikon body, the D7000 is amazing. I don't think you can beat it with a Canon for performance AND price ($1099 body only). I haven't seen a Canon in that price range that can compete. I hate the comparisons it always gets to the D700 because its like comparing apples and oranges. The D700 is FX and D7000 is DX BUT I have seen them compared side by side and was very impressed. The D7000 starts to loose out in lower light though.

One advantage of the D7000 is the glass cost. DX lenses are much cheaper.

My wife uses the D7000 as a back up body (professionally) and I use it for fun...I accidentally had it the other day shooting my aquarium when she was suppose to have it on set for a shoot lol. Luckily she didn't need it. I'm not allowed to touch her expensive body.

LOL I just realized how that sounds...
That was probably me who brought up the D700. I'd like one because of the sensor and the minimal (har har har) price tag (comparitively) but at still more than twice the price of the D7000 it is basically never going to happen for me.

I agree the D7000 is pretty nice.

But you mentioned getting the D700 used ... and well, trust me, I've looked into this and it's a non-starter. Maybe on account of the shortage or whatever, the price of a used D700 is ridiculous. I am seeing $2400 for the D700 body retail (new, for the stores that have one kicking around) and around $2100 for used with several tens of thousands of shutter actuations. Umm no thanks. Given that the D700 is also behind the curve on a few bells and whistles (2008 vintage) compared to 2011 models, you're paying for the sensor, and, it would seem, paying through the nose. Crazy.