View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 06:58 PM

BigAl07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostafew View Post
On a somewhat related note, I'd highly recomend looking into an innexpensive flight sim program like Clearview for example. It'll use your existing Tx with a USB adapter (purchased seperatly, about $20) as the input device and will help you to practice the basic orientation skills, and take a crack at the more advanced models to see if you're ready. Real Flight is well known and comes with it's own Tx input device but it's spendy.

Have you ever seen or tried Phoenix? I've tried all the above (heck I started on a Dave Brown sim running on an Apple 2e back in the day). The Phoenix sim is second to none and very cost effective. The only perceived drawback is radio because you need your own radio. Some think that's a drawback I think it's an advantage because you get to practice with exactly what you'll fly with. Another huge bonus for Phoenix is that all upgrades (new planes, helis, etc) are FREE! You don't have to buy "Add-On" packs like you do with Real Flight.

Three things I can't stress enough...

• 1) Get a flight sim! It will save you a TON of money and pay for itself in the first 2 hours of flying.
  • 2) Get the help of someone who knows how to fly. Instructors are free (at least here) and it will probably save you a TON of money!!
  • 3) Be INSURED! I don't know if it's viable in Canada but AMA is a life saver in an accident.