View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 08:34 PM

Gripenfelter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Getting in on this interesting concept a bit late, but couldn't the same thing be accomplished using a pvc framework or something similar? Why glass? PVC would be lighter, less prone to breakage, probably less $$$s too. Easier to disassemble if it comes to that...
Acrylic was NOT cheaper actually. I had estimates from shops in Alberta, Minnesota, Ontario, and even Las Vegas (ATM aka TANKED).

Even shops in the States who are usually much cheaper than glass had a brain fart when I showed them the design. Initially I had planned to do this in an L- shaped acrylic tank but after weighing the pros and cons of it and considering the fact that acrylic is much easier to scratch etc, I decided on glass. Price was very close to the same.

I wanted to actually do a bullnose end on the tank but the fact that it would be a 2 ft radius curve meant it would look like a huge magnifying glass and distort everything. If I went bigger than a 2 ft radius curve we wouldn't get it into the house.

So we went with glass with beveled edges.

314 gallon Drop Off Reef tank. 150 gallon sump. Bean Animal Overflow. Various Tangs, Angels, Triggers, Inverts, Corals, etc.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80379