View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 04:06 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I asked Aqua-Digital if the product is Lanthanum chloride in his advertising thread. Not surprisingly, the ingredients are not disclosed.

If it is indeeed Lanthanum, it will not be skimmed out, it has to be mechanically filtered out. It seems as though getting 100% of it out of a display tank setting is not possible and some people (including Randy Holmes-Farley) question what this precipitate will do over time if left in a tank. Personally, I wouldn't want to be dosing a Lanthanum-based product into a tank, but I would definitely use a Lanthanum-based product for curing base rock or high PO4 live rock. Be aware also that if more Lanthanum chloride is dosed than there is PO4 for it to bind to, then it will bind to CO3 and precipitate out which will deplete alkalinity. For the reasons listed here, I wish manufacturers would list ingredients so we can judge how best to use products instead of relying on manufacturers suggestions which are all too often not the best idea. Like say a Remora Pro skimmer on a 125 gallon tank?

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-30-2011 at 04:16 PM.