View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 04:58 AM

born is on a distinguished road
Default Aiptasia Overflow

Has anyone ever read up more thoroughly on aiptasia in an overflow box?

I read a forum topic on this guys tank who has encouraged aiptasia in his overflow so that the aiptasia could possibly use up excess nutrients and be a more biological filter. Also the excess food that gets sent straight to the overflow box, they eat up so less nitrates are in the tank.

I'm currently attempting this in my 125G reef tank. I noticed a couple aiptasias in my overflow and decided not to kill them after reading this guys thread. I did have about 3 or 4 aiptasia in my display but after destroying them I haven't seen any at all come back or any new ones. I've checked day and night in every spot I could and didn't see any new ones forming in the display. There is also aiptasia in my sump, but I don't think they're spreading from the overflow or sump into the display.
As of now there is hundreds of aiptasia in my overflow, ranging from a cm to 2 inches long.

A member in the forum said that says,
"
Quote:
Intresting thought, but is there an litreture as to that they require to grow and nutrients they do use, as i can imaginge that these would useing mag, dkh to grow and would be more of a strain on these elements and that would far out weight benifts of nitrate or phos reduction that will occour if any at all?
So does anyone have any further info or experience on the topic? Just wondering if this could benefit my tank, or if I'm digging my system into a hole that'll screw me over later on.
The thread is from, http://www.reefersparadise.com/smf/i...p?topic=1296.0