Thread: Coral id
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2004, 06:08 AM

Van down by the river is on a distinguished road

Hello Ed,
What you have is Sinularia, possibly Sinularia polydactyla. That's not the important part here. It seems what you have is a dying DYED CORAL.
Pictures can distort color but it looks far too yellow to me. The second picture with necrosis in the tips definitely gives it away.

Please Check this posting from Anthony Calfo:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/dyedcorals.htm

Now I don't want to start a store slam, but I would like to know at which store you bought this coral. I'd also ask you to tell them next time you are in the store that you are very unhappy with this particular purchase. Then explain why. Unfortunately, the store may have actually not known it was a Dyed coral so it is important for you to let them know so that they don't order more!( the staff in many stores are often unaware that any such practise exists)

I think Anthony sums it up well in the following quote:
Quote:
coral exporters and dealers, are not operating charities! Rest assured that they do not wish to ever offer a product that will not sell well, let alone incur a loss or debt. And so, the educated consumer need only vote with their feet by leaving the establishment selling inappropriate animals and not spending their money. This will promptly and directly impact what is offered in the market. On the contrary, a dyed coral purchased by an aquarist is a vote FOR the product and will likely be replaced by another in kind.-Anthony Calfo
There are husbandry suggestions on the site as well to assist you in nursing your coral back to health.