View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Banned

unclesalty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuvor View Post
---------------

I purchased two Radion fixtures from Concept Aquatics. Thank you Dave and Brad.

I have hanged them from the ceiling temporarily, with rope.

My tank is 4feet long, but it’s 38” wide, and shallow: 22”. The water column, however, sand excluded, is only 18”.

Initially, I experimented hanging the Radions 6 inches away from the water surface, but I got an unlit portion in the middle of the tank, and marked shadows.

At 12” from the water (see pics) the shadows disappear and the tank appears more homogeneously lit.

I used the spectral plots reported in Advanced Aquarist by Sanjai Joshi for Iwasaki and Radium 250W bulbs to guide me in programming spectral peaks and lows for the Radion. I followed Riddle’s work to manage the red part of the spectrum.

The measurements below were taken at noon, when I programmed the fixture to display the highest relative intensity.

Average PAR measurements (Apogee) on the mid to upper reef (12 measurements) is 305; range: 170-455.

Note on expectations:

The tank appears dimmer than it did under MH / Compact combo, even though PAR measurements are on par.

The reds, pinks, and blues appear washed; mute, a little bland.

Glitter lines do compare to MH’s.

Software does not include natural mode; only artificial. I experienced problems with launching speed. Overall, the interface feels underdeveloped, not as user friendly as it could be.
I was hoping to use the natural mode too but I also noticed its not in the software. Setting up color, %, and intesity and at what time, seems like it might take a little while to set up. Still waiting for my hanging kits but I do have a tracking number for them so early next week they will be here. They seem way brighter lights than my (3 weeks old)AI Sol Blue module- by far! Jeremy at Premium Aquatics thinks the opposite at his first glance??? Once I get my hanging kits I will test them with par readings side by side in my 120gal.