View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 05:53 AM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

The dosing regime

I dose both Ca, Alk and Mg using Randy Holmes-Farley's instructions

Calcium and Alk are dosed automatically using BRS dosing pumps. I use 1.5 gallon plastic food grade jugs from Industrial Plastics in Surrey. Both Ca and Alk are dosed at the same rates, so I fill and empty the jugs at the same rate as well.

I dose Ca and Alk every two hours (alternating) for 10 minutes. This equats to 6 times per day (Alk) and 6 times per day (Ca). Each dose is 1.1ml/min x 10 minutes = 11.1ml, which equats to 66.6ml per day of both Ca and Alk.

I dose Mg during each water change, and I test using a Elos Mg testing kit.

Calcium
I purchase this in the form of Anhydrous Calcium Choloride (94-97%) from Ocean Aquatics. It comes in bags of 1Kg for under $5. I mix 2 cups of the CaCl pellets to RO/DI water, and it makes 1 gallon.

Alkalinity
I purchase this from Costco in Bellingham in the form of Baking Soda. It comes in a really large bag for relatively cheap. The bag is so large it looks like it may last me a few years. I take 2 and 1/4 cups of Baking Soda and bake it on a clean cookie sheet for a couple hours at 300-400 degrees F. Then I mix it with RO/DI water and it makes 1 gallon.

Magnesium
I purchase this from BRS in a ready to mix bag of Magnesium mix, specifically formulated for 2-part dosing. This ensures the ions are correct, etc. It mixes with RO/DI to make 1 gallon.

The BRS dosing pumps and the Food safe containers from Industrial Plastics:

Last edited by cwatkins; 10-31-2011 at 09:13 PM.