View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 09:46 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
Nooowww, before you all chew my face off for saying this keep in mind I'm playing devils advocate here. In no way am I saying you should make a point of being "unsafe" while handling or caring for any of our marine creatures but everyone pointing the "palytoxin" finger really needs to stop doing so.

Daniella is simply explaining that as far as the scientific process goes you all blow, and quite frankly I have to agree with her. With out scientifically based proof (some sort of test identifying palytoxin as your culprit) your all jumping the gun and pointing at a compound that probably has little to do with whats going on.

Yes Max experienced symptoms but there are hundreds of thousands of compounds in saltwater created by hundreds of thousands of different organisms, any one of these could be your culprit. Max could also have any number of physiological problems wrong with him in addition to the effects of this "mystery compound". So again, take from it what you will but with out definitive proof please stop pointing blindly at Palytoxin.

She makes a really good point;

There are scientific channels to ensure the "facts" we spew are in fact true, I'm surely preaching to the wrong choir on an internet forum that bases facts off opinion but if anyone takes anything from this post it's please do your research, blindly following others opinions can have grave consequences.

levi raises a good point could be as simple as a bristle worm in the zoas/palys and an alergic reaction ......i guess the only thing i learned from this thread was to take precautions when working in your tank because theres alot we dont understand or alot of things we dont even know is in there