Thread: Glass cuts
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 04:52 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

hmmm a weird things in this thread. first is if the bottom is floating then it is in shear and tension, unless the bottom is fully supported.. then like was mentioned you better have a good stand or something to make up any unevenness.

I have 4 tanks in the garage and I just went and checked them.. all 4 are built with the sides on the bottom, and the 25 I redid 4 years ago had the sides ontop of the bottom.

My 33 was the other way around but it had a plastic moulding that suported the bottom and the sides, but my custom made 94 gal had the same moulding but the sides were ontop of the bottom....

as long as you suport the tank properly for the method you use it doesn't matter which way you build it.

the shear strenght for the silicone we use far exceeds anything well ever subject it to. now maybe if you build extreamly tall tank it would be different but you would also be looking at more than silicone to support the bottom edge.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.