Thread: My Reef
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 PM

Scottyreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezetyle View Post
welcome to the board. There are a bunch of us reefers here in vic.

Love the nem!

Great, Island folk : ) good to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Nice RBTA!! Great color. If you tape a picture of clownfish in an anemone to the side of the tank it will usually get the clowns to go in the nem. It sounds silly, but for me it has worked 100%.

Really?? I will try it just for fun but, sounds like a prank on a noob to me : D

If you have hair algae (or any other nuisance algae) growing in the tank and the phosphate and/or nitrate is/are undetectable that is because the algae is sucking the nutrients out of the water making it impossible to detect with your text kits. Also, ammonia should never be detectable after the initial cycle is over. Either you have a faulty test kit, or there is die-off in the tank. For a reef tank you should also be testing and dosing magnesium.

I did just stir the tank up and disturb some rock so, must be in a mini cycle again.
Magnesium, check. Ill go pick up a kit asap
Im dosing 3 things right now, one is alk, one is ca2 and other is iodion.
more detail on this when i get home

There is nothing wrong with the GFO reactor dumping into the refugium, unless your refugium is actually a macroalgae harvesting factory which would cause it to be inefficient.

Not so much a macro harvest but a safe haven for critters and pods to breed, though i still have them going through the return pump.....
And, it catches what phosphates the reactor doesnt doesnt.
Got hermits working on the hair now