View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 05:14 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Should you be interested in somewhat more accurate, real time information on power use, there are electronic energy monitors available these days to do so. They have a similar form factor as the larger digital timers with LCD displays. I purchased a Blue Planet energy monitor on sale at CTire over a year ago. Full price for some versions of this device can cost a few bucks, but worth it if you're looking to hunt down vampire loads in your house.

I reckon the smart meters BC Hydro is in the process of rolling out may also provide some of these capabilities, but the device I'm talking about can be plugged into any receptacle, in line with whatever load you're looking to measure. The model I have even allows you to input your Kwh cost and will calculate the $$$'s for you. A month or so ago I finally got around to measuring my entertainment center load which includes a Shaw Digital Cable Box. Was quite surprised to find that even when turned off, this blood sucker was using 30 watts! I don't watch that much TV so the convenience of keeping the cable box running 24/7 so that the menu stays alive seemed like a bit of a waste to me. I have it plugged into a power bar with a bank of switched & a bank of unswitched (always on) receptacles. Decided to turn the whole power bar off and only turn it back on shortly before I wish to watch TV. Everyting still works right away, but I need to wait for the cable box to reload the menu in order to get channel & guide info. Something I can deal with to save a few bucks on the electric bill.

BC is still has some of the cheapest power rates, but I'm in the market for some solar panels & a bank of batteries. I already have a wind generator but haven't set it up yet. Been looking for a good deal on batteries. Problem with home grown power is still the upfront cost for components.

Last edited by mike31154; 10-10-2011 at 05:16 PM.