View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 05:08 AM

sweet ride is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
You can still vacuum sugar sand, but it takes good technique. Use a short hose so you can put your thumb over the end, or use soft hose so you can pinch it (you can get different wall thickness, thin is easier to pinch). Buy a vacuum with a small hose, like 1/4" ID so the flow isn't so fast either. Then just shove it into the sand, and as soon as the first bits of sand get a little way up the vacuum pinch it off so the sand settles, you can play around with it like that and get the detritus out without the sand.

I bought a vacuum (I think Hagen..?) that uses a 1" pipe for the vacuum part. I bought a 36" piece of 1" pipe (it's used for undergravel filter uptakes) and cut the pipe to be just a tad shorter than how deep my water is. Looks really well. The extra length helps to get the detritus out while leaving the sand in the tank.

Low pH has many causes. The most common being either high bioload or too much CO2. Do you ever open the windows in your house for fresh air? Check for an oily film on the water surface. Pretty much any skimmer works well for off-gassing CO2, but if the house has concentrations of CO2 then all the off-gassing in the world won't help. Bioload also lowers pH as fish poop is acidic, and there are also acids released when organics are broke down through the nitrogen process. Sometimes if everything is "good" simply dripping kalkwasser at night as part replacement for calcium and alkalinity dosing will keep the pH from falling so much at night which enough to keep the pH higher during the day too.
so base on your recommendation I've gave vacuuming the sanded a second try, this time i used one of the ball valve that came with the TLF reactor, it still pickup a little bit of sand but this time I can live with it!

I do open the window around the tank whenever am around. I've also started using kalk as part of the ATO, the ph have increased a little am around the 7.8 now during the day and 7.6 at night time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
People actually vacum the their sandbeds still? Why would'nt you just get a proper cleanup crew rather than disturb the sandbed? The less your hands are in the tank or anything else disturbing things the better. Your tank looks awesome, i'm no expert but just leave things as is. The ph is'nt that bad. Theres lot of threads on here that discuss that very topic. With most of them ending with "if it aeint broke dont fix it"
Madreefer thanks for the kinds words! I do have cleanup crew a lot of them! I do believe in the saying "if it aeint broke dont fix it" but it this case I do believe that improving my ph will also indirectly impact the system in a good way.