View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 03:39 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

1) A Harlequin Tusk is a lot like a Lionfish as far as predation goes. In my tank everyone notices the "cool clownfish"! The Picasso is much more popular than the Platinum in the non-reefing crowd. Yellow tangs really attract people (not me lol). A Blotchy Anthias would be a good pick, but they need to be fed several times per day. I think if you pick out some nice wrasses with bold colors they could be your eye-catching fish. If you have the money for a trio of Hooded Fairy Wrasse that could be VERY eye-catching.

2) I like screen covers like the ones available on BRS (you DIY them). You can buy the pieces from any hardware store, but I am not sure a local supplier of the clear screening. I don't like egg-crate lids...they block a lot of light.

3/4) That's a cool idea. Be sure you can get a siphon inside to suck out detritus or have a couple openings where powerheads can blow in one end and the detritus comes out the other end. Be careful when designing a system without a skimmer...you have to be able to keep the tank really clean manually - especially if you want SPS. Skimmerless SPS tank, not the best idea imo.

5) No skimmer and no macroalgae culture is not too brilliant on a tank that big imo. If you are planning a sump, why not plan macroalgae culture or a skimmer? Imo, pod culture in a sump isn't the best method. You're better off creating a safe pod reproduction zone within the display tank.

SPS fanatic.