View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 03:11 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Okay so I got to play with all these technologies this weekend at MACNA...the Ecotech was very impressive...though they chose not to put it over a real reef...just an empty tank with their pumps. Given that there are at least a dozen LED fixtures down here...I think they needed to show it off better so that we could see the spectrum. The Orpek light probably looked the best over coral at the whole show and it lacks many of the features the others have...but the blend was just better. The Maxspects are really nice...spread is similar to Radion and they are cheaper. Build quality was also very impressive.
AI has a new light (as yet unnamed) which uses the XML whites...thus the huge drop in pricing on the current AI Sol. The new AI interface was wicked cool on the new lights.
Although the Vertex is a nice fixture...they too chose not to display it with a reef...just an empty tank.
Although I hate to say this...Coralife was showing off a new LED fixture that really made the reef look good. To be released in the next couple months...pricing unknown. They use red LED's as well.
My last comment would be that Sanjay did a very impressive review of LED fixtures and he was not as impressed with the Vertex and Ecotech as he was with some of the other fixtures, especially with their PAR. He did end the discussion with a statement about how he still prefers MH to LED because it doesn't rely on the manufacturers doing their research as much as it just dumps light everywhere leaving less guess work as to whether the light is covering everything.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.