View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 06:46 AM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

* Where's the line between hype and effective? Ecotech is venturing into a new line of technology which they haven't earned a reputation for, yet everyone is ready to throw down the cash. I would say this whole campaign hasn't been so much about the innovation as it has been to push the Ecotech name and sell lights because they make a good pump. Having said that, I'm sure it will be an awesome product.
* Is the price point (apq. $800) more inline with value than EcoTech's competitors? Most tanks will need two or three of these fixtures so the price point is on par, I wouldn't say there is any savings over the competitors.[/b]
* What do you think of the technology when compared to other LED solutions? [b]Selectable colour temperature, high PAR, even dawn/dusk are useable features. Lightning, cloud cover simulation, and sync with the Vortech pumps are all useless features IMO. Cool things to show your buddies while having a few beer, but certainly doesn't constitute "high end" features.
* Do you see any major drawbacks of the lighting system other than criticism of LED in general? LED is excellent technology, still very new and demands a high price. That tells me it's still a little early in the game for this tech. Affordability for everyone will come but I don't think it's there yet. There are other technologies such as plasma and induction lamps thay may very well take over but at this time LED is certainly the best means of reef tank lighting.

I think the biggest disappointment for me was the form factor. I was expecting a very radical design that would be unique and recognizable as an Ecotech product (just as their pumps are). Ecotech played it very safe with the design and chose a very boxy conservative look for the fixture. The Mazarra still wins in the looks department.