View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 04:25 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoonTang View Post
I would tend to disagree with this. Do the entire course at home, it will be cheaper that way and you wont have to waste valuable holiday time practicing skills like fin pivots and mask removals etc. You are going to find that most of the dive destinations charge a lot more for their courses than any of the places here.
Depends where you go, typically these places in the Caribbean aren't that professional. As long as you're comfortable you'll probably just end up doing 4 dives without practicing any skills or maybe just a few skills the first dive. If you do find one of the few professional places they will likely check your log book anyway and still make you do skills since you're newly certified. But either way I'd rather do a few quick skills down their than dive the low visibility, cold lakes here.

I'd agree with doing classroom and pool skills at home then doing the 4 open water dives on your holiday provided after your class you feel comfortable enough with everything. That's what me and the wife did and I don't regret it.