View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 06:18 PM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
After a while I could set the WB on the G9 with my eyes closed in about 2 secs. I haven't used the 11 but the 10 was the same so I'm assuming the 11 hasn't changed much.

One problem with the G9 and G10 is you can't change the aperture or shutter speed in the case so you have to make sure you set then to what you want before you dive meaning you certainly can't shoot full manual. Is the G11 different?

I guess it should be noted that when choosing a camera make sure you can actually use it how you want underwater....
I have an Ikelite housing so all controls are fully useable. One suggestion I have seen for the Canon G/S cameras is to use the customs settings on the camera. There are two custom setting that you are able to toggle back and forth. One can be set for distance shots and the other for macro.

I practiced with my camera in the housing in low light around the house in order to get acquainted with the functions. A suggestion for those that dive locally and use wet gloves is to even practice with them on. Don't forget, that diving with those, manual dexterity is lost. I dive with dry gloves so it's not too bad.

Another +1 to get certified. There is a world of difference being able to stay down for a long time versus snorkelling/free diving. You get to see a whole lot more. Definitely get comfortable in the water before trying to shoot pictures. Task loading can lead to potential issues.