View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 11:34 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinmcnally View Post
Hey, Bblinks, how big were you thinking? We actually have prototypes right now of up to 12 LEDs per board. I was leaning toward the next addition being a 4 LED board of 4 in a row. You could then lay those white, blue, white, blue etc.

Would love to hear some feedback on this.
Martin
I have a 6 ft tank with mostly sps. I was running 3 x 400W MH with extremely good results but since summer i had to take it down due to heat it produced in the living room, it's like a friken sauna. So down comes the 400 on goes the 250s for now. I dont really mind the 250s since it has 4x80 t5ho which allows me to play around with different colors of bulbs but What i would like to do is to retrofit the fixture with three panels of 36-48 led per panel in the place of the halides and keep the t5s. For me it would make more sense if they were 12 LEDs on a chip, with each individual 5.9 x 16 heatsinks to accommodate 3 to 4 chips. I like my mean well drivers but invertronics seem to be a much better choice in this case. Or I can make three casing for 4 mean well drivers each just so it's nice and clean, I hate having a mess of wires that look like some one just spilled their plate of spaghetti everywhere.

Anyways, bottom line is the modular idea is awesome. It not only make the whole diy job look professional, it will also eliminate human soldering errors. The only problem i see with larger chip is if a single led does burn out on a multi led chip it will render the whole chip useless.

I want to purchase a kit for my soon to be frag tank, and depend on how it turns out, the next project will be the 210.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013