View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 04:29 AM

imisky is on a distinguished road

how long has this tank been running? would be interested to see pictures as well . Ive never heard of anyone attempting a sky light lite tank in the northern hemisphere due to the climate we get here. you have suppliment lighting so I think your fine and can see some benefit during summer times in that you wont really need the LEDs to be on at all. Im assuming during the other 3 seasons the LED is on as the main? and whatever light comes through the skylight is additional light.

In regards to what you are finding about our summer daytime hours, this is what i mean by photo inhibition, once the corals get enough light they literally stop utilizing it. Anything after that pretty much stresses them out and either causes them to bleach or turn brown (usually bleach). Some corals dont mind it at all, they'll soak up all the light you throw at them (figuratively). though there is a point in which all corals will stop utilizing the light available to them. and this is what i mean by algae could take hold, not always but there's a higher chance than compared to other sw lights we use.

Show us some pictures, I'd be really interested to see this project as it was something i was looking into.

EDIT: as for filters, you can grab blue filters from places like industrial plastics and or other plastic shops they would be able to get them in any gradient you want.