Thread: Orphek or AI
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 06:08 PM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Wonder if there were forums when halides started out in the hobby? Be interesting to see if that produced as much bickering and argument. I think people had gotten bored of arguing about skimmer technology and LED has filled a void LOL. Regardless of biases I'm impressed by the orphek's colour output (at least as captured in the photo)
I agree the colour does look awesome, and pictures never do justice so I'm sure in person they are amazing. I think the reason LED tech is so perplexing is because there is no apples to apples comparison of each of the LED's, a lot of the information out there is based on opinion and not fact. When I purchase my two Illumilux fixtures, I researched until I just about went cross eyed and in the end I was more confused than when I started. I really do think Vertex has nailed it with the Illumina and a person would be hard pressed to find a better fixture out there with more features (I am just a consumer by the way, not trying to promote one over the other) but they are insanely overpriced. Since LED tech seems to be following the same trend as any other electronics such as AV gear or computers, the LED fixture worth thousands today is paperweight tomorrow. I'm still a halide person, I do use LED for supplemental lighting and I have to say it looks better than halide and certainly better than the flat looking T5, and I would love to go all LED right now, I just think it's a little early and MH is still the economical choice.