View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

As stupid as it may seem on the surface, I think it's a good idea. It's the same as handing out clean syringes. Yes, it would be awesome to see drugs off the street but that really isn't realistic (if you have ever lived in or near the DTES of Vancouver, you know what it's like and the people it attracts).

Look at it this way. There is always going to be a population of drug-addicted users no matter what measures we put in place to prevent it. There are always going to be those people who are just gonna f-up their life with drugs. Unfortunately, this leads to a spread of disease which can easily be spread to non-users (dirty needles, prostitution, etc). If someone wants to go f-up their life with drugs, you're not really goin to be able to do a whole lot about it, so you may as well let them do it in a padded cell of sorts that can reduce the physical damage to them (by disease) and, by extension, to non-users.

The same goes with free drug programs. I'd love to see those addicted get their fix from a safe, controlled source (ie. Dispensed) and put the gangs that distribute the drugs out of business rather than having them running around my city killing people. Also, with free drug programs it removes the cost to those addicted so that they are not desperate for their next fix and are going to stab you to death on the street for the change in your pocket.

Sure, these programs are not perfect but few people realize that they are studies toward finding a solution. The USA is a prime example that prohibition doesn't work, unbridled drug markets don't work either. We have to find a creative solution that lies between the two that minimizes the impact of drugs on society.