View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 04:22 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I have two males in my 77 g sumpless. No clue whether they are captive bred, but guessing not. First male has been in there for about 4 years (juvi when purchased), second probably year and a half, also juvenile. Thought the second was a female but got it wrong. Couldn't catch either one after second introduced so I was concerned for the life of #2. So far it's going fine with the odd skirmish when they catch sight of each other, but #2 generally knows when it's time to leave Dodge and stay out of harm's way. If I can ever get hold of either one, I'll have one for sale!

#1 started taking Cyclopeeze granules and small pellets off the substrate pretty much of his own accord. I haven't witnessed #2 take any dry food yet, but he's faring well finding live food by the looks of it. Both appear well fed & healthy. I allow the back glass to get quite overgrown with coralline and even.. gasp.. hair algae. This harbours extra pods & I regularly see both mandarins grazing those areas. I also have a fairly deep sand bed and observe them taking live food from there. Since I'm running sumpless, I also have a wad of Chaeto suspended from an acrylic rig on the back rim of my display. This also appears to be an effective refuge for pods etc. So probably not what many would consider an attractive display, but I don't mind & as long as it keeps the critters fed, I'm good. Some day I'll have a basement sump and cleaner display.

Last edited by mike31154; 07-19-2011 at 04:26 PM.