View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 10:15 PM

Sunee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCoralReef View Post
Yea definitely have it running on socks right now. Some people are saying it might just need a lot more time. It's just started to clear enough for me to start seeing some of the sand in the display, so I am hoping it will get better. Going to give it more time, but man does it suck! I had never thought that this would happen. Going to give it another week or two to settle, and if it fails, ill have to empty the tank and put something else other than sand because I dont want to have to go through that every single time I make a change to the tank.
Good job so far. You are having many of the issues I had. Glad to hear you are working them out.

If you do decide to remove your sand you don't have to empty the tank you can just siphon out the sand with wider bore tubing (something like 1/2"). If you keep the tubing in the sand you don't remove too much of the water. I set up a new tank a few months ago (no journal yet) and used this method to remove most of the sugar fine I started with and replace with slightly coarser sand as my MP40 was moving it around too much. It worked great.

Another option to quiet your pump if you don't like the idea of the styrofoam staying in the tank is a mesh like Lifegard aquatics aquamesh filter - I used the blue stuff and it works great. I know I am going to have to clean it really well when I clean the pump but better that than the noise.