Thread: First Corals
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 AM

chandigz is on a distinguished road

First of all no one has asked what your set up is? What type of lighting, tank size, flow and inhabitants? No one can really offer suggestions without knowing that.
And as for zoantids being deadly, Yes they can contain palytoxin in varying quantities but very few have levels that you would need to worry about with regular handling. There is a lot of myths and hype about palytoxin poisoning and how you can get it. You pretty much have to find the one in five hundred extremely toxic type and mash them into an newly opened wound and directly into the blood stream in order to have a near fatal experience. I'm kind of an expert on this, I should know I've been there I had every symptom for a fatal dose and also got to see a doctor. Was the worst 36 hours of my life. I still keep lots zoas/palys, and handle and frag them, always will. I just handle them with respect, and don't try to squish them off my rocks without gloves.