View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 11:03 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

I admit to being skeptical when I invested in LED, but let the great debate be over. LEDs are completely and totally ready for full blown SPS systems. My corals have grown more in the past 60 days under LED then they did in 6 months under 250W MHs. The colours are great, the polyp extension is great, the overall health of the system is great.

Now, I confess that I am also supplementing Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium in a much more controlled fashion that I previously was. This is undoubtedly why I am seeing the increased growth, but it still proves that LEDs can and do grow-out beautiful coral.

I completely love the sunrise, sunset and moon effects. It really adds value to my viewing time. The fish are well aware of the light cycle and will act differently depending on the time of day. The dusk cycle inevitably triggers the mating instincts in a number of my fish. The energy in the tank at dusk is incredible.

For what it’s worth, I have zero regrets. None what-so-ever. These lights were one of the best purchases that I have made for my tank.

I have the 6’ Vertex Illumina 260 on a 300G tank (6’ x 3’ - 27" deep) open top.