View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 02:59 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Hey Folks,

So, i’ve got some updating to do...

I’ve been aware that I still need test kits.... I got started at Marine Aquaria this weekend where Harvey set me up with a Hanna Phosphate Checker (and I got a sweet little SPS frag too).

Ofcourse I check out how the tank is currently. Attempt #1 was an epic fail... I under-estimated my ability to cut open the powder reagent bag and get it all into the ‘cuvette’, with enough time to shake it before the unit turned off... so I had to scrap that one and restart. 
Attempt #2 and officially Test #1 (which I was ready for this time):

Ok.... so im not THAT awesome... surely I messed something up. Its not like I saw any change in the solution.... I read through the instructions again... troubleshooting. Nothing...

Test #2

Wtf??? Ok.... Theres probably something wrong with the kit...
I want to confirm with something that I know will have phophates, so I check my ExCichlasoma beani tank, a 75g fresh tank with a large cichlid and 3 silver dollars. This baby is gonna have phosphates for sure.

Sure enough... soon as I dump in and start to mix the reagent, the solution begins to turn blue as in any other phosphate test.

Wow ok.. (I’d say thats embarrassing, but I overfeed this fish and have slacked on waterchanges in the last month, having done 1, where I used to every 5 days. I am waiting for replacement R/O membranes so my production is way down to like 15gpd/cant use our well water).

Anyways, so now we know the kit works. About 8 hours later, I try test #3 on the saltwater tank...

So this is a whole lotta pictures of zeroes...
Im now thinking... is it possible my low bioload and use of biopellets/mangroves/cheato are paying off...

*I used a hagen phosphate test kit from someone else... and the tested my water twice with it, and it was totally clear, no colour.
( I also think its likely the phosphates are low cause the tank is 'newer' (although half the water was old and all the rock was old).

Harvey was very helpful in outlining some LED and skimmer brands... so I did some more research.

I am still interested in downsizing skimmers to something more correctly sized/rated, but not limiting. Im considering the skimz SM121. It will be sized appropriately to handle my current volume and future upgrade to the slightly larger semi-cube, and is a touch shorter than the 122. I will appreciate the reduced amount of fuss with the single pump as well. The SM120 is fitted with an aquabee pump. As I find this pump quite loud(same pump as on my deltec), I would like to avoid it.

I am now considering adding a full-blown LED fixture to complement the halide. I like the new Vertex Illumina 260... I really like the look... They are expandable for future changes and repairs seem quite easy to conduct if anything goes wrong... but the ability to control the fixture from an outside source(aquarium controller) is lacking.

Aqua Illumination’s SOL fixtures are also cool. I dont really like the look, but their ability to be controlled by something like a profilux is phenomenal. I also understand that they have been around for longer, and I have found more examples of successful tanks using them.

I considered the profilux route before getting my Apex... and am now considering going to profilux again. With the options available through profilux, ability to control vortech, everything the Apex can do, as well as the profilux dosing system I considered (getting a slave unit instead of a master will be cheaper), and control Aqua Illuminations fixtures to the max. Also, AI fixtures are about 60% the cost of the Vertex LED fixtures, and more capability when controlled by profilux.

So new things to “Do”:

Sell:

- Apex
- Deltec
Get:
- AI SOL Blue LED
- Get Profilux III pack & Vortech Expansion Module
- Skimz SM121
- Hanna Alk Colorimeter
- Elos Test Kits
- Second Vortech MP10w ES
- Profilux Doser eventually

Still waiting to receive my Prodibio. Very stoked to start the system... hopefully wipe out the two areas of hair algae remaining in the tank.
(apparently the some of the shipment was smashed, so i've got a delay of another couple weeks again.. looking at a month now)

I need to re-aquascape or something... im not happy with the shape of the rock work in terms of ability for coral placement, and kind of just threw it together when I was transferring the system.

Good news - I think there are only 2 aiptasia left in the tank. The largest seems to be gone now (I thought i was going to have to remove it). I guess the peppermints and (mostly) berghias are doing a great job.

Some of the items to buy may not happen right away... but im stoked for this to continue coming together.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Funky_Fish14; 06-14-2011 at 03:06 AM.