View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 04:25 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Not sure I can help much but I'll give it a shot. I have a handheld VHF radio and in order to change the frequencies it operates, I need to hook it up to my notebook through a USB adapter cable since it doesn't have an RS232 port. I needed to download USB to RS232 port emulator to get the Kenwood software to see the radio through the USB connection. The emulator allows a USB port to emulate the RS232 connection. I assume your Profilux comes with the USB cable interface as well & more than likely includes some sort of port emulator? On a side note, I can't figure out why companies are still making hardware with RS232 interfaces, don't think any computer less than 5 years old physically has an RS232 connection.

In any case, when I hook up the radio via the USB interface and open the Kenwood programming software, the Setup menu item allows me to assign a Communication (COM) Port. I still run Win XP on my notebook & the Kenwood software 'Setup' menu brings up a window with a total of 20 COM ports. Two of them end up being selectable COM3 & COM5, the remainder are greyed out. The one that usually works in my case is COM5. No idea if the Profilux software allows you to access the same info but if it does, you can try whatever ports it shows. Failing that, you'll need to get into the Windows Device Manager and try to find the "Ports (COM & LPT)" feature. With the Profilux on & connected, you should see your USB to Serial Comm Port option in there, although since you're getting the 'not recognized' error, your only option might be to find the feature through your Profilux menu somehow. When my radio is hooked up, turned on and I've selected COM5 from the Kenwood software interface 'Setup' menu, I see "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port(COM5)" under "Ports (COM & LPT)" in the Windows Device Manager. This is the USB to RS232 port emulator software I downloaded & installed.

Best of luck. The link provided by the AquaDigital dude isn't all that detailed & not much help. Perhaps it's best to try & get hold of Profilux themselves. Could be that there's a hardware or firmware problem with the Profilux that needs to be fixed.

Last edited by mike31154; 05-29-2011 at 04:33 PM.