Thread: Ich
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 04:47 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

who told you to raise the temperature? That did not help at all, in fact, it may have precipitate the process of the ich multiplying and it deprived your fish from much needed oxygen. A very very bad advise and who ever gave you that advise should be ignored in the future.

The reason your fish did not show sign of ich at the begining is because the ich first infect the gill, then when that's full they spread over the body. By that time it is usualy a bit late but with isolation tank and medicine like Cupramine from Seachem, they could probably all have been saved in no time. REally sorry for your loss. 8 years is a long way.

People think that ich is nothing serious and a little garlic here and there and a bit of UV will solve the problem but it does not. Some strain of ich will probably be much harder to eliminate than others. Some even resist hyposalinity treatment. Ich is a powerfull killer and it must be taken seriously. What work for one might not work for others and for me garlic never worked, but hyposalinity did the trick. For some people that does not work and Cupramine is required in QT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpins10 View Post
Thank you for all your condolences and advice. I did feed them with garlic, but every few days one of them died and just getting worse and worse. They eat normally in the day time, but at night they became covered with white and getting weaker day by day. I had raised the temperature to 81F day and night but it still didn't help at all. The total of 15 fish died with opened gills and mouths, looked very suffering. At the beginning when I had a few fish die, my husband had spoke to Jeff from J&L and had someone there test the water for me, the water was fine. He told my husband don't do anything when we thought we might need to put an extra powerhead if there is some lack of oxygen in the tank. At that time, the fish didn't show any ich, they just died with no reason. A week later they became all covered with ich.
I am devastated with the loss. Some of the fish I had were more than 8 years with me. I felt completely useless seing them die. It is a great sadness for me.