View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 PM

jphong is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I didn't want to go with a sump because I don't have a stand that will hide it and that’s why I thought of using the small tank as a nitrate/phosphate exporter with the DSB and macroalgae.

So far I haven't opened the valve to connect the refuge to the system yet because I wanted the sand to have time to cycle first. Thats the good thing about what I did to the system, each tank can be closed off from the loop.

The bubbles from the 75g above is noticeable but the outlet is at the back of the 40G so the bubbles dont spread to the front so its not too bad. Not sure how the bubbles will be from the refuge but I bet it wont be too bad since Im planning on keeping the flow low there. Im thinking of trying to add some filter foam at the outlets to keep bubbles down. I put the outlet on the opposite end of the 40G to the pump so that there is some circulation of water being pumped through the system.

Top up is done with an ATO installed in the 40G below as that is the tank that experiences the water level drop when the pump is running. I have to top off the 5G bucket that I have at least once a week for evaporation which seems like quite a lot (not sure how this compares to other systems out there).

I don’t really trust the HOB overflow yet so I only run it for a few hours when Im home to balance out the water parameters between all tanks and also to get the ATO to top off the system. The overflow is right above the outlet in the wall so Im afraid if the overflow “overflows” Ill be in big trouble. I may move it to the other side in the future just in case.

Also to the left of the 40G I am planning on adding a drilled 10G tank as a frag tank. There is just enough room I just have to build a small stand to lift the bulkhead outputs above the 40G rim. I am either going to run one of the outlets from the other tanks into this to create flow or use a small pump. I think that will be the final add on to the system without going any bigger! I have a bunch of live rock rubble and shells ready to go for the frag tank.