View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

If you thought the fish didn't look healthy, or if you had issues with other fish from that vendor, why did you add it to your display without quarantining it first?

It's one thing to voice an opinion, it's another to slander a local business because you couldn't be bothered to take the appropriate steps to minimize the risk to your established system.

Maybe from your troubles in february you used some equipment that introduced whatever it was that wiped that tank out into your other tank? Maybe the tank moved destabilised something... doesn't matter how many you've done it before the potential is always there. Or, maybe the new fish introduced something into your tank. But before you go slamming the retailer like you did in your first post ask yourself what steps did you take to minimize the risk. Every vendor, no matter how reputable, can get diseases and parasites in their tanks.

I don't see any "buddy buddy" stuff when it comes to the sponsors here and Mod's stifling discussion. If your post had said "I bought this fish from xxx vendor and it was gasping... they said it was a heavy breathing pufferfish and now it's dead" then yeah, slam the vendor to your hearts content. But when it's "I couldn't be bothered to quarantine a fish before I put it into my display tank and now everything is dead"... then it's nobodies fault but your own, and slamming the vendor is inappropriate. It's common knowledge that very few vendors practice appropriate quarantine methods. Knowing that, you can either quarantine it yourself, or toss the dice and dump it in your display tank.