View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 05:33 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
ever got to this:

I've been considering is splurging on an array of solar panels to run the lights straight from a DC source

Ha, ha, not yet. I keep spending all my money on backcountry ski trips in the winter. These frivolous trips actually serve as inspiration though, since most of the lodges, huts, chalets have some sort of solar array or water powered generator to provide power in the boonies. I always take a little time to drool over their panels and power management components. Since BC Hydro is poised to start cranking up their rates in the near future, I think I might cough up for a couple of panels in the 200 watt range this year to get the ball rolling. Purchased a wind generator on sale from Can Tire last year, but haven't set it up yet. Turns out the winds here in Vernon aren't really consistent enough for meaningful wattage out of a wind generator. But it is the sunny Okanagan and I'm thinking the solar panels will work well, with the wind generator as an occasional supplementary source to charge up the battery bank. I may end up supplying the majority of the lights in my house with DC voltage instead of 115 VAC and run LED bulbs in the fixtures straight off DC.