View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 01:17 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Why can't they come up with a submersible pump that dependably starts up again like some of the external pumps. My Reeflo Barracuda and Iwaki 70RLT only get cleaned once a year (maybe) and start back up each and every time. I've had both of them over two years and never have a problem. (The Iwaki in fact I bought used from a fellow reefer).
Submersible pumps on the other hand are a PITA! If you don't clean then regularly, half the time they won't start back up. Take it apart again and fiddle with it until it finally works. Next time I turn it off, same bloody thing.
In powerheads I find the Korallia Evo's the worst, with Tunze better and the Vortechs being better yet. Surprisingly the cheap MJ's are pretty good.
Skimmer pumps I find are especially frustrating. Atman, Aquabee, Tunze and even Eheim have all given me grief, although the Eheim is easily the better of them. The Atman in my Bubble Magus skimmer is especially bad. I just about threw it off the sundeck today. (I had to take it apart 4 times before it finally ran properly). Until they come up with a better pump I will not buy another skimmer with a submersible pump; I'll stick with Beckett's and external pumps. They might be old school and noisy but man they work well.
Submersible return pumps IMO are somewhat better than the skimmer pumps, but still not close to being as good as external. Eheim being the best of the bunch.
Ok, got it off my chest and feel a little better. Sorry for the rantings.
Lance that is why i have a Mag drive I have nothing bad to say about them.