View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 02:40 AM

MicroTankin is on a distinguished road
Default DIY Rock (oystercrete) curing??

So I once again have a question for the knowledgable people of CanReef. I made a bunch of Oystercrete this summer and put it in a tub for about 2 months changing the water about once a week. In hind-sight the water to rock ratio may have been to low but by the time summer ended there was no more scum building up on the surface. I then kept the dry rock inside till about 3 weeks ago when I started curing it again (changing the water every day or so). I can test my water at ph of 7 or so and my rock has now been holding steady at 8 for a week. I recently let if go 3 days and tested everyday and it is holding at 8. My question is will all the oyster shells in my rock bring the ph above the 7 of the tap water a bit? I think the rock is done curing... My ratio is about 3.5 parts shell, 1 part sand, 1 part cement. Extremely porous. I can pour water right through the rocks. I am thinking they have cured because of this article: http://www.oystercrete.com/Journal/?p=74 I think due to the time it have spent in water and low cement ratio, I am hopeing it is good to go!!

-Sometimes I wonder who is looking at whom through that glass?-