Thread: DIY moon lite
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2004, 11:33 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namscam
would 430 nm work because i dont want just the appearance but also the effects because i ve heard it helps stimulates molts and spawning...read that it should be 470-480nm
I have been playing with LED lighting for almost a year now (took a little break for the move though) but I will be starting up again.

I don't know whare this 470nm rating came from as the moon is not blue and nore does it throw off a blue light. and when I was in hawii swimming way after dark (don't ask ) the water was not blue either.

now asteticly we like to see a bluish look to our tanks so I have been playing with a mix of 430nm and 470 nm LED's and I have a few 385nm LEDs on the way. the hardest part is getting a even look to the tank at every hight with out the spot light effect. also you have to either put them high or make a difuser to soften the light so you only get a glow and not a harsh flood light effect.

once I get the speaker boxes made for my truck I will be working on fabracating a new light rack for LED's for my 25 gal tank so I can play with a few more of my ideas.

Underworld do you mean 5mm? the only 5 watt LED's I know of are the luxton stars, did you find another? if so send me a link for them please.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.