View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 05:10 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough
Default kien vs The Red Bugs: Round 1 - FIGHT!

Okay, so this evening marked the first treatment of interceptor for The Red Bugs. Here's how it went down..

First, another thank you to my supplier

I was able to obtain a few Interceptor tablets ranging from 5.75 mg to 2.3 mg. Fairly small pills. From my research on various sites, including canreef , I was able to determine an appropriate dosage for my system. According to Melev, one large (23mg tablet should treat roughly 380 to 400 gallons). I'm probably at about 320gallons so I'd need roughly 21(ish)mg, give or take. I went ahead and dosed 23mg anyway because I didn't have a scale.

So here we have my pills ready to get crushed into a fine powder.

fine powder!

Once I was satisfied with my interceptor powder I dumped it into a container of tank water and started to mix it. It actually mixed fairly well. This is before I actually stirred it.

After mixing it all I simply dumped it into the return section of my sump. I removed the skimmer cup from my skimmer to allow it to overflow and I took my carbon off line. The next step is to wait 12-24 hours to turn my carbon back on and put my skimmer cup back. After that I will likely do another dose next weekend. The new school of thought seems to be that you only need one treatment since Red bugs don't lay eggs. From what I recall reading they are live bearers so the fear of eggs hatching in your tank seems to be a false concern. I'm going to do another treatment anyways just in case I got the dosage wrong on the first go round

So that's about it. Not terribly exciting but hopefully tomorrow's inspection should reveal a lot fewer red bugs, if any at all.