View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 09:05 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroTankin View Post
150 bucks is expensive for me, and it is mostly the cartridge price for a real RO/DI. When I am done school and working again I will start setting up a bigger system but for now I think this is a nice little DIY that can supply my 10 g with lots of great water for cheap. I am running a nano on a extreme budget so.....expensive is relative. So far diy stand, light hood, rocks and free tank/skimmer and pumps......extreme budget! Plus I love DIY!
You are in Calgary like me... Firstly, you don't need DI. Reason is that Calgary TDS from tap isn't that high. I run basic RO, so prefilter, carbon and membrane and my TDS is Zero. So saying that, you don't need the more expensive DI.

Secondly, I would invest in the proper RO system. You can go without, but you might have algae issues, so a good RO is really important, just like a good skimmer.

Just my opinion, I wouldn't bother with a DIY. You will either ruin your tank or end up with alot of water on your floor when the DIY leaks everywhere.

If money is tight, look at trying to find a used RO system.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk