View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 07:10 PM

shootingstar is on a distinguished road
Default Upgrade not ready yet and DT skimmer quit!

Hi all,
We have started the process for an upgrade to a 6 ft tank, unfortunately we are a few months away from having it online. I decided that once the new tank is up and running I certainly don't want to take it down unless we move so we might as well replace the floor before setting up the new system. Then of course the hubby decided that a basement sump/mechanical was the way to go and well you all know how these things just grow and grow.

Current dilema is the current system. It is a 60 gal cube, the Marineland system that came with a woefully inadequate sump cleverly designed to hold only their skimmer and nothing else. I had already decided that this system was going to get a complete and proper overhaul (new sump/skimmer/plumbing) once everyone was moved to the new system.

Problem is the skimmer died. I can't find any other skimmer that will fit in such a small footprint and low water depth and I know that even if I could buying it seems silly as it will only see a few months of use.

Have been trying to stay ahead with water changes but of course nitrates and GHA are increasing.

Looking for suggestions.......wondering if I could try Prodibio CLEAN, am a little worried about using it without a skimmer

thoughts/ suggestions?

Background - System has been up and running for quite a while, was always stable and healthy, reason for the upgrade was everything grew too well and we are seriously out of room. No SPS, few softy's & LPS. Bioload was low till they grew too big for current system given it is now skimmerless.

Nitrate currently sitting 15-20 since skimmer died. Meaning it will have crept up to 20 and after water change drops.

Will the Bio CLEAN in conjuction with the increased water changes help me manage the Nitrates until we can get the new tank ready?

Can BioCLEAN given that it is a liquid packaged in glass vials be shipped in the winter?? or will the vials freeze and shatter??