View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 08:01 PM

Cranky When Wet is on a distinguished road
Question Is it possible to install in tandem with TEK fixture?

Must say I'm less concerned with par values because I'd like to use moonlighting to supplement day/night cycle as well as bring out the wow factor in my Ultra Acans.

I'm of the opinion that LED par value has steadily increased over the past year to the point where I feel it won't be long before the lighting market will change significantly. Not sure whether MHs will ever be replaced but I'm confident enough with my own experience to consider LEDs very worthwhile to complement conventional lighting beautifully.

I've been using two CurrentUSA strip LEDS (one actinic and one white with four, one watt bulbs in each) on one of my nanos (a Fluval edge no less) along with a "Daylight" 18w, 6500K lamp by Lights of America (TM). The original lights from the Fluval Edge tank kit were tossed eight months ago and never replaced. I jammed a TammRio skimmer in place of the original filter as well. Bottom line: my zoa's, mushrooms and LPS corals are happy, growing and healthy with this simple configuration for roughly fourteen months now.

Now I'm curious to know if and how I could install these new LED lights of yours along with the TEK fixture I've got.

My next tank is 75gals and I'm using a 36", 6bulb TEK system (one end of this tank will have a BM150pro built into it with two other compartments to "emulate" a giant "biocube." I'm doing it this way because plumbing is not my forte so this design suits my "flood-comfort" zone LOL!

Do you think I could mount one of these LED strips as well as my TEK light? Would the TEK fry the other or overheat it? I suppose I could use one for moon lights so the width of the unit shouldn't interfere with daylight bulbs from TEK unit... hmmm?

I'm hoping to arrange everything so the tank could be viewed from three sides as well so it would be good to know the spread of these new setups too.

Any advice, ideas, or thoughts?

Bunny