View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 07:18 PM

kookie_guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
It was $80 worth of stuff and I didn't pay duty. I don't think I've ever paid duty or GST on any items shipped USPS. I even just ordered $600 worth of bathroom fixtures and paid no duty so I'm not sure if some companies pay the duty for you or what. When something is shipped courier I usually always have to pay brokerage fees which I believe include duty and sometimes GST.
USPS is by far the cheapest. Not sure how you are getting away with not paying. Some companies charge you extra up front and prepay the fees for you, so that may have been your case.

- USPS charges $5 brokerage, and then you pay tax. This is done at package pickup. No pay, no package.
- UPS charges something like $15 plus tax, and they want the money at the door, or no package for you.
- FedEX is the worst. They are something like $20, plus the tax. The worst part is that THEY pay the fees on your behalf, and then mail you a leter 4 weeks later that you owe them money. If you don't pay, they send it to collections.

At least with UPS and USPS, if there's an error made, you can show paperwork and the brokerage/fees are adjusted. With fedex, is a pain in the ass, since the fees were paid a month prior.