View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 02:09 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Just had a thought, maybe some of you higher end photographers could post some of your shots with descriptions on the settings used, any special techniques, etc, so that others can work towards taking shots almost as great!!
The issue is not so much the settings, but the equipment necessary for such shots. Without off-camera strobes and a dedicated macro lens such shots are next to impossible to achieve. There's no magic setting that allows a little point & shoot or even an entry level SLR with a kit lens to achieve such shots. Add to this the consideration of paying for a full frame SLR body for the best low light performance possible. I'm just a novice photographer but I've learned that photography is a lot like reefing: you can't expect Bubble King results with a Seaclone.

That being said, coral macro shots are easier than fish simply because corals don't move around. Therefore, you can get away with less light, higher apertures and longer exposure times resulting in a greater depth of field. When shooting macro always use a good tripod, turn off all the other lights in the room and shoot directly at your subject perpendicular to the glass. Use shutter delay (or a remote trigger) and lock your mirror to prevent any camera movement whatsoever. Turn off all of your pumps and clean both sides of the glass scrupulously. You'll also need the patience of Job because you'll average in the neighbourhood of one "keeper" for every 50 or so rejects.

Here's some of my macro shots with the Canon 100mm 2.8 and some long exposures under actinics (the lens is also a wonderful portrait lens and not just limited to close up shots):