View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
The 1st CBB I owned I got lucky and while he didn't start eating until almost a month after getting him he eventually started eating PEmysis and I had him for 4 yrs then came home one day and found him dead, don't know what killed him or if it was old age or what but it really sucked losing him after having him for so long.

The 2nd one I never should of got. Basically a new saltwater guy in town (was around a few years ago and only for a few months) told me he could get one in for me for $15, the price was tempting so I took a risk and got him to order one in. When it came in he calls me and says something's wrong with my system I need you to pick it up asap. It looked ok but not great when I got there, but I ended up taking it hoping to save it. However 3 days after I got it it died, and it never ate.

The 3rd one I got I can only assume was cyanide caught. At the store I got it from he was eating mysis readily and continued to eat really well and get fat and seemed very healthy in my tank. I had him for just shy of four months, he had always ate well and he showed no signs of losing weight, or looking sick, then suddenly one morning I went to check on the tank and there he was dead Still looked fine (no odd body discoloration or damage) just was dead. No idea what else it could of been other then cyanide, he was a small CBB so I am pretty sure it wasn't old age or anything like that.

I'm glad yours is doing well eating worms and I hope he lives a long time for you, but from my experience it's really rare and unfortunately perfectly healthy ones sometimes just die for no obvious reason (guessing cyanide caught) and show no sign of anything being wrong before hand either.
All of my CBB experience has been like your third one...
Always fat, healthy looking and a voracious eater but then you go to freed your tank one day and you cant find it, then you finally see it...

After getting my hopes up with this fish a couple of times, I will not attempt another one.

If you can give a fish the absolute optimum care and it still dies, I just dont feel they belong in my tank...