Thread: Stray votlage
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 02:09 AM

Seafan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
There are no absolute foolproof guarantees, even GFCI devices can fail or be faulty and everyone's wiring situation is a little different. You say you received a small shock, perhaps it was insufficient to trip the device. Not really sure why or how in your situation, adding the grounding probe suddenly caused the GFCI to trip. They are sensitive devices designed to operate on a very low amperage current differential between line and neutral.

I've had the GFCI trip on occasion simply from plugging in a small powerhead or air pump. Once the device is plugged in and I reset the GFCI, it's fine. I also have a T5HO set up on a digital timer power bar consistently tripping my GFCI. I have two of these set ups that are identical, same power bar, same ballast, same lamps. One trips the GFCI, the other doesn't. I simply don't use the set that trips the device any longer even though there's no indication of a safety issue.
No this was not the case at all, actually The G in gfci stands for ground which most of our equipment in our tanks does not have a ground in the plug-in therefore gfci is quite useless in half of the equipment we run, I was merely pointing out that this is why I would not run without a ground probe.