Thread: UPS ideas
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 04:48 AM

wolf_bluejay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post
This subject has been discussed quite a bit already but one detail that hasn't really been addressed all that much is actually one of the most basic -and applies to your recent situation, and that is information.

In other words, one of the biggest things is to KNOW the power has gone out. Had you known, perhaps you could have called someone to go and start that generator.

So perhaps some way of being advised by SMS or such if there is a power failure would be the most valuable 'backup' you could have.

Of course, you need to have someone who can get into your house, connect and run a generator and preferably has reef experience. I guess that means you need a 'disaster plan' so that the person doing this for you is prepped and knows how to do all this and isn't figuring it out on the fly.
I figured I would mention this, as I always monitor power outages all over BC during my work day as it tends to cause servers to stop working:

BC hydro now has RSS feeds of the regional power outages. So if you use a RSS new reader you can get updates on any power outages in your area. They are fairly specific right down to which streets and how many people are out. And of course, you can follow the link to BC hydro's outage maps.

PS -- regular UPS do not handle motors/pumps very well and most of the smaller ones (square wave) will not turn the pump at all. Active line UPS will work, but for something that will run good size pump will be very expensive.

Cheapest solution, next to a generator -- 12VDC pump, controller by a relay connected to main power. When the power goes out, the relay closes and the pump starts. All automatic, runs for hours, and the largest cost is the battery.