View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 11:58 AM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

WIth regard to your questions below I have added my comments in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
a little background info - my tank is 36"x24x12" (shallow 45 gallon). I have a 6 bulb teklight but it will only light 15-17" of the tank so I have put it up for sale to purchase a 4x39w t5ho retro (running 2 blue plus, purple plus and aquablue special) along with two 175 halide units. This will all go up in a hood so that is 11" tall but floats 6" above the tank. heres a pic to help you visualize

Questions for all you halide pro's...
[list=1][*]175w should be enough for such a shallow tank right? (want to keep my electrical bill within reason)It will be enough, however if you ever get a deeper tank this wattage will be inadequate. Also, your bulb selection is limited, should you decide to sell the fixture in the future, you will have less buyers oposed to a 250W set-up. If you are concerned about electricity......bad hobby to be in[*]what would be the optimal setup for a true 14k look from the halides alone? (ex. single end Iwasaki 14k on eballast -would like ballast and bulb recommendations) not familiar with 175W set-ups, I have never considered them[*]will this add alot of heat to such a small tank?potentially, if this is the case move the light a hair higher, or change your lighting schedule in the summer[*]do i need uv glass? NO[*]reflector choices? I have about 20" of width to work with in the hood, 4 t5s will take up 10" give or take (based on 2.5" reflector width) tough one....personal preference I would say based on personal tastes[*]will this setup add too much heat (i dont have a chiller but my house temps are as follows - winter days 20 degrees, nights 17 degree, summer days 22 degrees nights 20 degrees) - tank will be in my living room where the thermostat is located.Tank should be fine. mosts reef tanks in Canada do not require a chiller[*]should i scrape the halides and instead go with a 8-10 bulb t5ho combo?
really depends on your preference...........tough to argue with the reflection those halides create........but T5 work also, I had a 8 bulb unit on my frag tank. Personally I would never have a reef display tank without halides, 250W minimum

random but related question - can those Lumatek dimmable ballasts be dimmed by a controller (ie Reefkeeper with ALC module) or is it just a manual knob you turn?

also - if you have any of the equipment i need for sale feel free to PM me. I am in Ontario but am willing to pay for shipping if the price is right.
I have a ton of used equipment..........if you are looking for something specific let me know.

thank you all in advance for you help.

Happy Reefing -Vince