View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 11:26 PM

Jfish is on a distinguished road

Stayed at the Barcelo Maya Tropical at the end of November. Resort was very nice and clean. I can't really compare it against any other resort though. One thing I can say, the free snorkeling at the resort is only a one hour rental. So if you enjoy it, buy or borrow some gear before you go. There were swarms of fish, stingrays and turtles off the pier at our resort and we would have stayed in the water a lot longer if we had our own equipment. Also next time I go i'll take the water shoes since there are lots of big rocks lurking out in the water. I'd also take a big beer mug because those little glasses just dont cut it.

We did take the catamaran tour from playa del carmen to tulum one day though. It was an excellent day, two hours sailing, one hour snorkeling, lunch on the boat, hang out at the beach for an hour and a quick tour of tulum.

Boat was large enough (80ft) that there wasn't a whole bunch or rocking. Two or three people ended up being sick out of a hundred or more. The sailing (motor powered) went along the coast which was surprisingly sweet. We then snuck in past the surf and snorkeled just out from tulum at the reef there. The short tour of Tulum was also informative but not too lengthy.

Looked into the deep sea fishing but none of my friends would commit. Talked to some other guests that went and on thier 6 hour trip the group (8 guys) caught three fish. They weren't that happy but every trip is differnt. The fishing boats are a fair bit smaller and in rolling seas I think the squeamish wouldn't have a good time.
Three of my friends did end up going, without callin me which is a whole other story. They went on a four hour trip and caught six or seven fish. They said it was amazing and since the groom ended up reeling in a six or seven foot marlin everyone was happy. Depending on when you go some fish are out of season. At the end of Nov. the marlin season isn't that great but obviously it varies a fair bit.